The escalation of the COVID-19 public health emergency has generated a large volume of information, advice and guidance on matters such as testing, PPE and hygiene practices.
Digesting all the necessary information and keeping up with the frequent changes is a significant challenge for Care Homes. This page has been created to enable providers operating within Neath Port Talbot and Swansea to access up-to-date versions of documents such as the Regional Care Home Protocol, as well as signposting to other useful resources.
Regional Care Home Protocol
A downloadable copy of the latest version of the West Glamorgan Regional Care Home Protocol (v0.11) can be found below.
All appendices can be found here.
*Latest Update: 15 October 2020*
- West Glamorgan Care Home Testing Policy (15.10.20) – Click here to view
- PPE Reminder to Care Homes (08.10.20) – Please be aware that fabric face coverings / fashion masks do not provide adequate protection in a care setting. The PPE masks issued by Local Authorities meet the required standards, and providers are asked to ensure staff wear the correct PPE at all times – Click here for more information
- All Wales Workforce Risk Assessment Tool – Welsh Government have requested feedback on the usage of the tool. Please scroll down to the ‘Workforce Risk Assessment’ section below to download a copy of the form, or click here to complete online.
- Flu Vaccinations – Pharmacists are currently visiting Care Homes to vaccinate staff and residents. Click here for more information.
- Message from Directors of Social Services regarding visits to Care Homes (Updated 29.09.20) – Click here to view
Please note: the fortnightly Care Home testing programme is for the testing of staff only. If any resident is displaying symptoms, you must contact the Community Testing Unit on 01639 862757 to arrange a test.
Advice on whole home testing will be issued by Test, Trace, Protect. Please do not use the postal tests for any residents or whole home testing.
The fortnightly care home testing programme remains in place and is under constant review.
The West Glamorgan Care Home Testing Policy (issued on 15.10.20) can be found here.
PPE & Infection Control
- PPE Reminder to Care Homes – Please be aware that fabric face coverings / fashion masks do not provide adequate protection in a care setting. The PPE masks issued by Local Authorities meet the required standards, and providers are asked to ensure staff wear the correct PPE at all times – Click here for more information
- Public Health Wales – Advisory Note – Use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in Social Care Settings (Care Homes and Domiciliary Care) – Click here to view.
- A video guide indicating how PPE should be worn in Care Homes can be found below:
- Public Health Wales are responsible for guidance to health professionals on managing coronavirus in Wales. This includes national guidance on infection control and PPE: https://gov.wales/public-health-wales-guidance-health-professionals
- Public Health Wales guidance and protocols for safe working practices within care homes can be found here: https://phw.nhs.wales/topics/latest-information-on-novel-coronavirus-covid-19/information-for-healthcare-workers-in-wales/
- A downloadable copy of the latest Regional Protocol for PPE and Infection Control for Social Care Staff and Providers can be found here.
- A downloadable Word document highlighting various resources designed to help Care Home staff to look after their mental health and wellbeing can be found below:
Key Guidance Documents
- Welsh Government has issued guidance to care providers and healthcare professionals working in care settings: https://gov.wales/care-homes-and-social-services-coronavirus
- Welsh Government guidance on testing in Care Homes, managing staff and residents who have tested positive for COVID-19, and reporting arrangements: https://gov.wales/care-home-testing-guidance-html
- Document 22 – Care Home Guidance (updated 11.09.20). This document is particularly significant as provides information on Test, Trace, Protect (TTP), social distancing and hygiene practices within care homes.
- Visit We Care Wales for information on vacancies in care settings –https://www.wecare.wales/jobs/
- You can promote vacancies within your organisation using the Twitter hashtag #WeCareWalesJobs
Workforce Risk Assessment Tool
COVID-19 Workforce Risk Assessment Tool – This resource helps users to consider personal risk factors and suggests how to stay safe. It is designed for health and social care staff, but can be applied in any workplace – https://gov.wales/covid-19-workforce-risk-assessment-tool
Welsh Government are monitoring the use of the risk assessment and want to gain an understanding of the impact of the use of the tool. To take part, please complete the online survey at https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/47EDBU/, or complete the electronic form and return to Welsh Government via e-mail (downloadable copy below):
Help us to help you…
We are very keen to ensure Care Homes receive as much support as possible during this challenging time. If you have any comments or suggestions for steps that could be taken to improve your experience of navigating the pandemic, please get in touch via the form below: